Wow wow wow, so many things are happening, I can barely keep up with the news! Remember everybody, don’t come on this blog for earth-shattering news, here I only try to analyze things, with a delay (if posting photoshops qualifies as ‘analysis’, of course).
So, here is a summary of the drama unfolding in Montreal, in the last 36 hours…
- Schneider is traded for some picks. (It already seems it happened 3 months ago…)
- O’Byrne is sent down to Hamilton. Poor guy, I know he struggles this season, but he’s hardly the only one. In his case, he just pays for the fact he can be demoted without having to clear waivers.
- Some old pictures of the young habs partying last summer are used to illustrate the rumors that Price, Higgins and Sergei Kostitsyn are partying too much during the season. Jean Perron, a former coach, says he has good sources confirming this. Carbo rips him in his media meeting. (For the record, I think this is precisely the type of things that gives a bad reputation to Montreal and makes it harder for the habs to sign free agents. Price was understandably really upset about this ‘story’. Young players in every team go to bars sometimes. It just happens, deal with it.)
- Sergei Kostitsyn aka Little Tits also goes to Hamilton. His bad play, and his contract status (same as O’Byrne) are the reasons why he’s sent down. But it also gives a bit of momentum to the indiscipline rumors. Greg Stewart is called up.
- Gainey asks Kovalev to stay in Montreal during the upcoming two games road trip to Washington and Pittsburgh. Officially, Kovalex is supposed to “relax” and “stay away from the team” for a couple of days. Gainey says that given his current playing level, the team doesn’t need him right now. Ouch. Everyone thinks a trade is coming.
- HFboards almost explodes
- Right after his official declarations with the media, Gainey apparently goes off the record, and rips Tampa Bay about the Lecavalier trade rumors of late january. According to a radio, he said that it was Tampa that approached the Habs about a trade, and asked for the then rumored package of players. That’s the exact opposite of what the Lightning GM claimed at the time. Apparently, the trade talks eventually broke down, and Gainey is now quite unhappy with the Tampa Bay management. (my sources here? HFBoards. Yeah, that should give you a hint about the credibility of my blog!)
- And the biggest news of all: to the delight of many fans, Carey Price goes back to the white pads he was using before the slump, and gets rid of his apparently cursed new red pads.
This is way too much for my poor mind. I’m all confused.
I have no idea what to think about the Kovalev story. It really looks like he’s going to be traded now, but I’m not sure scratching him is the best way to increase his value… Also, is it a good move to get rid of your most talented player in the last part of the season (even if he’s underperforming)? I’m glad I’m not the habs GM today.
I don’t know what Carbonneau thinks of all this, but he looks frustrated as hell. At least, people don’t seem to be calling for his head anymore. But I liked his reaction in front of the media yesterday: after a series of questions about Kovalev, Kostitsyn, and the indiscipline rumours, there was a short silence. Then he smiled, and said: “Oh, by the way, we just got a new player!” I found it pretty funny. (you can watch the clip on the RDS website)
I know it probably won’t happen, but I’d like to see people in Montreal take a big breath and relax a little. Right now, I’m happy I’m not actually in Montreal, because I probably would be freaking out too. This is what I find really annoying with the habs: there are way too many journalists following the team, and way too many people ready to parade/riot/jump off buildings depending on the latest results of the habs. The dramatization of every little piece of habs related ‘news’ is really tiring.
So, I thought, let’s stop freaking out, and actually focus on, you know, the game! Because Montreal actually plays a game tonight, in Washington. And really, what better time to face the Capitals? I’m scared of this game, and I’m scared of the Capitals. And it looks like the players feel the same:
OMG! It’s a Cap! Right behind me!! I’m just gonna tiptoe away silently and hope he doesn’t see me…
AAAAAAAAHHH! He caught me! He caught me! Please don’t hurt me!!!